Prior to surgery you will need to obtain the following:
1. Antibacterial soap (“Dial”).
2. Unsterile 3x3 inch gauze squares.
3. Have all prescriptions filled.
5. Make transportation arrangements because you will not be able to drive yourself home.
10-14 DAYS BEFORE SURGERY:
1. We recommend that you be on a well balanced diet and take a multi‑vitamin.
2. Do not take any aspirin containing medicines (refer to the list in your package). Do not take any extra Vitamin E.
3. Taking Tylenol is okay.
THE EVENING BEFORE SURGERY:
1. Shower and wash your face with Antibacterial cleanser.
2. Do not drink alcoholic beverages.
3. Take one antibiotic at 5:00 PM and another at bedtime.
4. Take one Valium at bedtime
3. Do not eat or drink anything after mid‑night.
THE MORNING OF SURGERY:
DO NOT TAKE AN ANTIBIOTIC IN AM
1. Take 1 Valium one hour before surgery.
2. Wash your face with Antibacterial cleanser.
Men: Please shave.
Ladies: Please do not wear any make‑up,
3. Wear loose, comfortable clothing.
4. Please leave your jewelry at home.
1. Take one antibiotic tablet four times a day until finished.
2. Take your pain medication as needed.
3. Do not lie flat in bed. Keep your head and shoulders elevated on 2 or 3 pillows until the swelling is down. You may have bruising and swelling about the eyes. This usually disappears in 10 to 14 days. To help prevent swelling, apply iced cold compresses or a light ice bag periodically for up to 72 hours after surgery. If you have a cast it is necessary to keep it dry, ice bags or compresses must be sealed.
4. Change the drip pad under your nose as needed. Generally a bloody discharge will be present for 2 to 4 days (use the gauze squares and tape). Do not disturb any other bandages.
5. Don't blow your nose or sniff. If you have to sneeze, keep your mouth open.
6. A liquid or light diet is best the day of surgery.
7. If you are experiencing nausea or vomiting the evening of surgery drink Coca-Cola, beginning with 1 teaspoon at a time
8. Please feel free to call our office if you have any problems or questions. Don't ask friends, neighbors or your family doctor for advice.
9. Do not use a heating pad on the nasal area after surgery.
Return to "Surgical Instructions"